How do I apply for a tax deed?
In order to apply for a tax deed, a Certificate of Purchase (CP) holder must follow a strict procedure outlined in Wyoming law. Although the general guidelines are listed here, anyone applying for a tax deed should examine W.S. 39-13-108(e) to make sure they are in compliance with the law.

Here are all the general rules:
- The CP Holder must apply for a deed after 4 years from the date of sale but no later than 6 years.
- Written notice must be served on each person in possession of the property and on the person in whose name the property was assessed.
- If no person occupies the property, notice must be published in a newspaper in the county for 3 consecutive weeks.
- The application for deed must be made after 3 months, and not more then 5 months from, the last notice in the newspaper.
- Notice must be sent by certified mail to any mortgagees that have liens filed on record.

All notices must list:
- When the CP Holder purchased the certificate
- In whose name the property was taxed
- A description of the real property
- The year the property was taxed or assessed
- When the Time of Redemption will expire
- When application for the tax deed will be made
- The amount of any special assessments levied on the property

Once the CP Holder has completed all these steps, they can apply to the Treasurer's Office for a tax deed by signing a statement certifying they have complied with all the procedures, and surrendering their original CP.

Show All Answers

1. How does the tax sale work?
2. When will the tax sale take place?
3. What is sold at a tax sale?
4. How do I find out what's for sale and where it is?
5. How much does it cost to purchase a certificate at the sale?
6. What rights to the property does the certificate holder have?
7. Once I receive a Certificate of Purchase, what do I have to do?
8. If the landowner pays the taxes, what do I get back?
9. How do tax deeds work?
10. How do I apply for a tax deed?