Temporary Registration

Residents with Wyoming license plates, current or expired, cannot obtain a temporary for their vehicle!

New Purchase

 A vehicle may be operated by the new owner for 60 days when accompanied by a completed bill of sale, or 45 days with a title. If an out-of-state dealership issues a temporary for less than 60 days, a Wyoming resident can still legally drive with the paperwork for 60 days.

Temporary Placard 
If an owner can demonstrate that they have legal authority to operate a vehicle (any of the above circumstances) and they would still like to display a temporary on the outside of their vehicle, a $5 placard may be purchased, to be attached where the rear license plate should be.

Temporary Registration
If a new owner would like a temporary but does not have legal authority to operate the vehicle (e.g. 60-day dealer temporary has expired and they want additional time to pay for plates), a temporary registration may be purchased.

A title in the new owner's name is not required for a temporary registration to be issued; however, sales tax must be paid. The Treasurer's Office offers 30, 60, and 90 day temporary registrations, with the start date beginning from the day the vehicle was purchased. Only one may be issued.

Temporaries cost a portion of the annual registration fees, as follows:

  • 30 day: 10% of annual fee
  • 60 day: 20% of annual fee
  • 90 day: 30% of annual fee

If Wyoming license plates are issued after the purchase of a temporary registration, they will expire a year from the temporary expiration date. For example, if you purchase a vehicle on April 15 and buy a 30 day temporary, the temporary will expire on May 15. When you then purchase regular license plates, the plates will expire the following May instead of April.

Out of State Workers

A non-resident temporarily working in the state is required by Wyoming law to obtain license plates or a temporary permit. 

Exemption: Wyoming has reciprocity agreements with the states of Idaho, Illinois, Nebraska, and New Mexico. Residents of these states are not required to register their vehicle in Wyoming unless they become a resident of the state (remaining for 120 days or more), at which point they must purchase Wyoming license plates.

*IMPORTANT: For Wyoming vehicle registrations, the definition of a commercial vehicle is mostly weight-based. It does not matter if the owner is a business or not.

Non-Commercial (GVW less than 26,000)
This temporary permit is $50 for 30 days; a customer may pay up to 6 months at a time. In order to qualify, a current registration from another state must be provided.

Commercial (GVW more than 26,000)
A one-time temporary registration may be issued to a commercial vehicle for 30, 60, or 90 days. A current out-of-state registration is required. The same fee structure is used as that of a temporary registration on a new purchase (see top of page).

For units with a maximum combination weight of over 55,000 pounds, a 2290 form must be presented to the Treasurer's Office at the time of registration.